Ivy League Love

Sunday, October 13, 2013

You all know I'm a bit a total higher ed nerd.  I love all things college, campuses built around a quad, and big libraries full of old-smelling books.  I have hundreds of books about how colleges work and student development theories and such.  And yes, I live in a little college town that revolves around a campus on a hill.  But Boston is like the ultimate college town.  There dozens of colleges in Boston, so it seemed like a pretty good place to start my dissertation research.

Now, I can't actually talk about any of that dissertation research or where I went or who I talked to.  It's all super highly confidential.  All I can really say on {the ivy project} is that it's about tragedies on college campuses.  But you already knew that.  Seriously, like CIA top-secret stuff.  I even have to make up fake names for the people I interview.

And speaking of making up names, remember this post about a little family bet?  Back to that soon.

Obviously, while visiting this great college town, I had to pay my respects to the ultimate in higher education.  This was not my first visit to Harvard, but it just gets me every time.  Harvard is over 375 years old and is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.   It's this very odd mix of a serene quad surrounded by perfect red brick buildings and dudes in pilgrim costumes giving tours of historic Cambridge.  Yep.  And while this was not my first visit to Harvard, it did feel a little different this time.  The thing is... this time it wasn't this totally unattainable idea.  Having acquired ABD status at Columbia and well on my way to a doctorate from an Ivy League institution, it sort of felt like I fit in.  Like it just made sense.  Yes, I'm a doc candidate at a rival institution, but... it's not so impossible anymore.  (I know what you're thinking.  I can hear it in the back of my head too.  And I probably maybe have no plans to go to Harvard next.  Whatever.)

Hey look, the Office of Student Life.  Maybe that should be me someday...





And while at Harvard, obviously I had to make a little side trip to find this one little place...



So do you think that counts as getting into Harvard Law?  Did I earn my naming rights?  

I'm thinking probably not quite yet.  

But while we were there, The Chief and I might as well take a look around, don't you think?  How did we manage to get inside of the Harvard Law Library, the largest law library in the world?  There's really no way of knowing.  Maybe we followed one of the pilgrim dudes into the building on a tour.  I really can't say.  So if ever there was hope of getting into Harvard Law, I probably ruined my chances.  Surely they know about this by now.  It was pretty fun though.  If only I could spend all of my days wandering around old libraries and drinking coffee on the quad.  Oh wait...





So for the purposes of protecting my research, I did not involve anyone from Harvard in dissertation interviews.  I did make the rounds of quite a few Beantown colleges.  And seriously, I wish I could do nothing but dissertation research interviews and hang out in cool coffee shops all day.  That would be an awesome life.  Anyone want to contribute to the dissertation fund for that one?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

1 comment:

  1. You got my heart all fluttery with talk of campuses, research, and libraries! If you ever want a fellow dork to read your dissertation, please count me in!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS