Home

Saturday, June 1, 2013


Did you see the Healing in the Heartland concert this week that raised money for my hometown?  After getting over my jealously at not being there for the country star-studded production (that sold out in 30 seconds), I pretty much cried my way through the whole hour.  The tears started when Miranda Lambert lost it on stage while singing "The House That Built Me."  I really lost it when I heard the first few notes of my all-time favorite song.  I have loved "Home" since I heard Michael Buble sing it in "The Wedding Date," but Blake Shelton and Usher took it to a whole new place.  I just really adore them both so much.  Even my Grandma is an Usher fan after he sang with Blake.  So the combination of that song, those two guys, and photos of tornado-ravaged Oklahoma City clearly led to me sobbing in my New York City apartment.

And then, of course, I spent my Friday night in New York City live streaming Oklahoma City news as more tornadoes ripped right through my hometown again last night, this time even closer to my actual home.  If you've never seen a multiple vortex tornado, you really should google it.  Those are not the ones to storm chase...trust me.  I played meteorologist, relaying radar information to family in their safe places.  I'm currently plotting a scheme to call the storm shelter people, arrange for it all to be installed, and just not tell The Chief until the day they show up at her home.  It's good, right?

But this whole idea of home is just kind of bittersweet right now.  Today is June 1.  Yesterday was my last day of work.  Tomorrow begins my final class session at Columbia.  And in 21 days, I will get in my rental car, drive through the Holland Tunnel, and leave the skyline I love in the rearview mirror.  {insert minor panic attack here}  And even though I'm thrilled to start this next chapter of my life and overjoyed to be close to family, it's still a little sad to leave the Big Apple behind.  Sure, Kansas will be great and I'm pretty sure the words "counter terrorism" will not be a part of my normal vocabulary.  But New York is the greatest city in the world.  And I fell in love with New York a long, long time ago.

But there's nothing like Oklahoma.  And hopefully, fingers crossed...Kansas?

And so I just keep listening to Blake and Usher, over and over and over again...

Another summer day has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I want to go home
May be surrounded by a million people I,
Still feel all alone
I want to go home
Oh, I miss you, you know


And I've been keeping all the letters that 

I wrote to you
Each one a line or two
I'm fine baby, how are you
I would send 'em but I know that it's just not enough
My words were cold and flat and you deserve more than that


Another airplane, another sunny place
I'm lucky I know, but I wanna go home
I've got to home
Let me go home
I'm just to far from where you are, I want to come home


And I feel just like I'm living someone else's life
It's like I just stepped outside when everything was going right
And I know just why you could not come along with me
This was not your dream
But you always believed in me


Another winter day has come and gone away
In even Paris and Rome
And I wanna go home,
Let me go home
And I'm surrounded by a million people I,
Still feel alone and I want to go home
Oh, I miss you, you know
Let me go home
I've had my run,
Baby I'm done
I'm coming back home
Let me go home
It'll all be alright,
I'll be home tonight
I'm coming back home

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS