Center Stage

Friday, June 14, 2013

So it was kind of a big week, in a totally boring and nerdy kind of way.  You see, for the last year and a half or so I have been writing this book of a dissertation proposal.  To make a long story short, before you write a dissertation (and get the degree), you have to write a proposal for said dissertation.  It is a full-out plan for how the dissertation research will play out.  After many revisions, you defend that proposal with your advisor and second reader.  Once the proposal is approved, you make more revisions...there are always revisions.  It's at that point that things really begin.

I had my proposal defense this week.  And bonus...as the first in my cohort of 20 to make it to that stage, every one else was invited to watch.  So it was me, my advisor, second reader, and another faculty member I didn't anticipate being present.  But around our small circle in the center of the room sat 19 other students in my program, plus one amazing friend who came for moral support.  I really wasn't nervous until I saw everyone else sitting there staring at me.  Yikesabee.


Luckily, all went well and I held my ground through some challenges to my proposed research plan.  It was kind of like me and my advisor against the world, but all turned out ok in the end.  Papers are signed.  Revisions are in the works.  This 112 page baby of mine is actually happening.  Who am I?


It's a little hard to tell from that, but the title of my dissertation is Learning from Tragedy: A Phenomenological Study of Student Affairs Leadership Following College Campus Disasters.  I know what almost all of those words mean.  And I don't blog about it too often, because I want you all to think I'm much more exciting than I actually am.  I guess the secret is out now.

As nerve-racking as it was to have so many people listening in to the process, it was truly amazing to look up and see so many faces wanting me to succeed.  My cohort brought me tons of lovely celebratory gifts, including these beautiful flowers...


Of course, now I have revisions to do and it's flooding in New York City.  All I want to do is curl up with this giant library teddy bear.  Oh, the joys of going to a school with the world's largest education library and an entire floor dedicated to children's books and cozy creatures.  Nap time, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. So, what happened to your dissertation project? Well, it certainly was hard to work on dissertation project. But, we all know that with a little thesis help, we can do wonders with it. Anyway, I do hope everything went well, and doesn’t encounter too much trouble along the way.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS