There's No Place Like Home

Saturday, May 25, 2013

People, this is a big one.  Epic.  You probably want to sit down for this.  Refill your coffee or mimosa or whatever you need to make it through.  Trust me.  Major changes coming to {the ivy project}...

Once upon a time, there were these two girls who bled green and gold...



But then one of them had to go and get married, so then there was this man who did this to our family...








And then one day, not so long ago, they arrived at a weekend wedding wearing each other's school colors instead of their own...


Baylor fans, have no fear.  For every one picture of us in Kansas clothes, I have a hundred more in green and gold.  Our family also learned that the TV has this channel called ESPN, but that's really a different story.  And now you're all caught up.  

So where is this all going?  

If you read closely, you know my time in New York is coming to an end...for now.  New York will always be here, but I've just had to accept that my relationship to it needs to change a bit.  I absolutely adore the concrete jungle, but obviously there are a few pretty good reasons to move west of the Hudson.  I'm pretty much done with classes and can do the rest of the doctorate thing from a distance.  I still plan to come back to New York two or three or four times a year (which is probably news to my family), but it's time to be a little closer to Tornado Alley.  I just decided that it's more important for me to travel to Manhattan than to live here and miss family events.  But that doesn't mean I'm not freaking out about leaving the city.

So yesterday I accepted a job and in seven weeks I will be a resident of the great state of...  

Kansas.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Kansas.  Seriously.  Kansas.  What have I gotten myself into?  

I am moving to Lawrence, home of the University of Kansas Jayhawks.  It is about 30 miles west of Kansas City and only two hours from Baby Sister and Just Matt in Wichita.  Two hour drive instead of six hour flight.  Shoot dang!  But, um... I am preparing to move to a town with a population 1% of the size of my current city.  Over eight million to 82,000 residents.  Oh my...

Kansas.  

So I think it's safe to say this is going to be an adventure.  You know how you all came to visit big sparkly New York City?  Please come to Kansas.  I'm really going to need you there.  Obviously, more details to come over the next few days.  And just for your viewing pleasure...


I think it's safe to say I have no idea what I'm getting myself into...

1 comment:

  1. Phog Allen, rock chalk and Jayhawks, oh my! Congrats on the new job. I know the Chief, Baby Sister, and perhaps Just Matt will be thrilled to have you closer. Now your real job (not the one paid for by the University) will be to make Lawrence come alive for your readers like you did with NYC. I'm very happy for you, Katie.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS