Neighborhood Tours: Nolita

Saturday, April 27, 2013

On today's {the ivy project} neighborhood tour, we're venturing to Nolita.  Nolita is the nickname we New Yorkers give to the neighborhood North of Little Italy.  It's east of SoHo (South of Houston, pronounced how-ston), west of the Lower East Side, South of NoHo (North of Houston), and North of Little Italy/Chinatown.  Nolita is this wonderful, tiny little hidden gem of a neighborhood that very few tourists ever see.  Small buildings, narrow streets, tons of charm...definitely one of my favorites in the entire city.  I could easily live in that neighborhood.  To get there, go to the Prince Street NQR station (located at the SoHo Dean and Deluca) and walk directly east on Prince.

First up is McNally Jackson Books.  New York is overflowing with independent booksellers, unlike the Midwest that just has the one giant store of books.  They have an awesome New York section and light fixtures full of books...



While browsing the New York section, I ran across this book of Manhattan maps, full of hand-drawn depictions of what Manhattan looks like from a New Yorkers' perspectives.  I'm feeling a little inspired by the idea and the daydream of what my Manhattan looks like, so stay tuned for that one, friends...



There are always cute little street vendors along Prince Street.  I never buy anything, but I appreciate that they are always there...


Still on Prince Street, I love WRK Designs.  They sell vintage industrial furniture and other cool finds.  I never buy anything there either, but it's a cool urban-ish kind of store...



And then you arrive at Little Cupcake Bakeshop at the corner of Prince and Mott.  This is where Nolita really starts, right across from the St. Patrick's Old Cathedral.  That's actually what it's called.  They have so much more than little cupcakes, too...




Now, the best parts of Nolita lie along Mulberry, Mott and Elizabeth streets, from Bleecker on the north to Broome on the south.  Aren't those just great names for streets?  Here's another place I've never been, but just think is so darn funny.  Tacombi at Fonda Nolita...there's a permanent taco truck inside a building.  Who doesn't love a good taco truck?


And almost right next door is Tory Burch.  I've never bought anything there either.  I came really close yesterday, but the super skinny pretty clearance dress I fell in love with was still $200.  Crap dang.


And now we've come to Peels.  Technically, Peels falls just outside of the Nolita radius, at the corner of East 2nd and Bowery, but it's close enough that every time I go to Nolita, I go to Peels.  Amazing all day brunch (hello, build-a-biscuit) and cute little walk-up coffee and pastry counter.  



This is where you will find the Peels graham cracker.  Now, I know what you are thinking...how good can a graham cracker be?  You don't even know.  Absolutely one of the best things I've ever eaten in New York.  So good that they didn't make it long enough to be photographed yesterday.  I bought two, intending to save one for later, and seriously did not even realize I had eaten both wandering back through Nolita.  If they had made it home, they would have looked something like this (from a previous Peels excursion) ...


Also not technically in Nolita but on the way to the subway, the Housing Works Bookstore is another one of those great old indy establishments in the city.  It is run by the company that does many of our thrift stores, but is all old books.  Heaven.  Their profits benefit HIV and AIDS research and care, which is even more awesome.  Just imagine if I had that wall of books in my home...



So there you have Nolita.  Next up?  Brooklyn.  Oh man, get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS