Neighborhood Tours: Greenwich Village

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

So here's the deal.  I have just under twelve weeks left in New York, at least for this part of my life.  Come summertime, I'm packing my bags and headed out west...destination unknown.  I'm a little sad about this and not sure how to handle living anywhere that doesn't have nine million people, 466 Dunkin Donuts, 256 Starbucks, and a 24-hour public transportation system.  But...New York will always be here.  Of that much I am certain.  But more on the move later...

With just a few short weeks in the city, I want to make the most of the time that is left.  Tons of great friend outings and parties for no reason whatsoever.  And for {the ivy project}, it's time for neighborhood tours!  The weather is just starting to convince New Yorkers that there is hope in the world.  After a solid six months of winter and above-average snowfall totals, it was 85 degrees today.  Perfection.  So over the next few weeks, I'll be hitting the streets to take you all (and myself) on a little tour of some of my favorite places.


Up first?  Greenwich Village.  One of my favorite neighborhoods in the entire city.  (You should know that I will probably say that about all of them...but I really do mean it for this one.)  Greenwich Village, also sometimes known as the West Village, between 14th street and SoHo.  It's basically just west of NYU to the Hudson River.  It's more of a foodie neighborhood than anything else, which is fine by me.  The Village is home to some of my all-time favorite friends: Chandler, Monica, Joey, Phoebe, Ross, and Rachel (they lived at Bedford and Grove).  So here's a quick and random collection of some Greenwich Village highlights...

Pour over coffee from Joe on Waverly Place...


Joe's Pizza on 6th Avenue: best slices in the city...


Murray's Cheese Shop on Bleecker...because it's a cheese shop.  So how can you go wrong?  Also home to the absolute best grilled cheese in New York City.  I like the Murray's Melt with turkey (like Thanksgiving turkey...none of that deli stuff) and tomatoes.



And for a great night, Murray's Cheese Bar two doors down.  Because it's a cheese bar, which is pretty much like heaven.  Feel free to take me on a date there.  Oh, and that bookstore next door is cool too...


Non-food related, but Greenwich Letterpress is a great little card store at which I could spend hundreds of dollars...



Every single restaurant on Cornelia Street.  It's only two blocks long and home to some of the city's greatest date night spots, especially since most of them only have about 12 seats.  Here is Le Gigot, which was once a great night...


Obviously, you have to go to the original Magnolia Bakery at 11th and Bleecker.  It's worth the line and the second cupcake...


One If By Land, in case you are a millionaire or planning to propose to one...


Tons of designer shops and random boutiques along Bleecker street, in case you find yourself with some extra money...


Cafe Minerva at West 4th and Bank, one of my favorite places to sit and read and talk for hours...


And finally, just because it's funny, A Salt & Battery, the Village's fish and chips restaurant.  Seriously.  I've never even been there.  I just laugh every time I see that sign...


So there are about a thousand other amazing places in Greenwich Village, especially fantastic places for a lazy all-day weekend brunch.  I love Hundred Acres.  There's a cool cookie place, conveniently called Milk and Cookies.  The Village even has Peanut Butter & Co., a PB & J restaurant.  I could go on and on.  Of all the neighborhoods in the city, this is your best chance of wandering into some random restaurant and enjoying an amazing meal.  I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it.  Why didn't I get that second cupcake when I had the chance?

More neighborhoods to come friends.  It's a whole big city out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS