Just Like Paradise

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ah, vacation.  I really, really, really needed a vacation.  I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's been a rough winter in New York.  I've been wearing the same coat (because it's my warmest one) and covering up every possible inch of my body for the last six months.  It never stops snowing.  So it was way past time to get out of town and get to a little bit of paradise.  Or you know, Orlando.  Whatever.  I'm still living on a grad school budget.

So my early morning flight from JFK started like this...thank you 2012 craziness that led to elite status that led to a the complimentary first class upgrade.


Turns out, this first class business does a lot to help with my fear of flying.  Convenient, right?  


Did you know they have super helpful coat hangers at your seat?


And seats that lay all the way flat?  I wanted to ask the flight attendant to take a picture of me napping in the flat seat, but I thought that might be a bit much.


And fancy breakfast on real dishes while enjoying the movie of your choice...


So armed with the knowledge of what I've been missing all the way back in coach, I landed in Orlando to sun and warmth and the reminder that trees are in fact supposed to have leaves on them.  Who knew?  And green grass?  Totally foreign concept in my New York City life.  And mostly, there was this...



Seriously, New York is overrated.  I am an Oklahoma/Texas girl.  I need the sun and warmth.  Of course, I will leave New York right around the time it starts to get warm and totally question that decision, but for now I'm good to go.  Literally.  

Believe it or not, I was actually there for a conference.  It was a great chance to reconnect with old friends and meet new friends and just generally remind people of my awesomeness.  I gave a great presentation, networked with potential employers, and secured a few key people for my dissertation.  It's a fun and games and student affairs kind of conference, as indicated by the random directional signs throughout the convention center...


Of course, there was also a lot of Baylor time in there...because they are the best of all.


And what would Baylor time be without Sing faces?


Next up on {the ivy project}, the happiest place on Earth.  Too bad I'm back in the land of snow and on call for the rest of spring break.  But at least now I can remember what the sun looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS