The Impossible Dream

Monday, February 25, 2013

Basically, my whole life in New York is quest for something I just cannot seem to find.  You might think it's the about finding myself or whatever it is that twenty-something women who move to New York City do.  But, um, I already found me.  I'm good.  And you definitely think that it's about finding The One.  Even though I don't tell those stories on the blog.  And not that it's not, but a date is really darn easy to find in this city and The One seems to be an illusion or a good dream or something magical that doesn't quite materialize.

No, ladies and gentlemen (mostly ladies), you are wrong.

My whole entire life in New York has been a search for the perfect gym and the perfect haircut.  

I completely realize how shallow that sounds.  Judge away.  I don't care.  You're still reading, so we're probably good.  But I've always lived a somewhat cushy kind of life in suburbia where the cost of living is practically nonexistent.  I "sacrificed" my hard earned money for things that made me feel nice, because I deserved it, you know?  And the gym thing?  Totally a health issue.  So my $50 a month gym and $120 haircut/highlights once every six months or so really wasn't bad at all.  I didn't do the highlights as often as my stylist wanted, so I was "saving money."  This is how I justify things.

Enter New York City.

Long story short, the school gym sucks.  Outdated machines, impossible sign-ups, no air conditioning.  Yes, you read that right.  So immediately upon moving, I began the never-ending search for a better way to work out.  I needed a replacement for my daily spinning routine.  That first year, I worked the "free trial week/day/month/class" situations at the city's most popular gyms like Crunch and New York Sports Club.  This, inevitably, did not turn out so well.  Average low-end gym price was about $100.  Of course, I fell in love with the boutique cycling places like Soul Cycle.  Hello, $34 a class and no unlimited monthly price.  So I tried a bunch of stuff with no routine, and I noticed the not-so-good difference.  So then I bought a spinning bike, shelling out a mortgage payment in the name of stress relief and health.  Seven months later, it has broken three times.  My wonderful brother-in-law fixed it the first time, I did it all by myself the second, and I screamed at the company the third.  So now the spin bike is awaiting return and I'm back on the hunt.

Saturday, I worked a free trial ride at Flywheel.  It's like Soul Cycle, but with better perks and higher-tech bikes.  And the same prices.  Super fun though...there's a tiny little computer that says how far you rode, how many calories, etc.  Check it out...


Then today I got a free week of yoga at YogaWorks.  I'm not a yoga junkie by any means, but I can appreciate the practice.  Particularly when wearing cute yoga clothes and in Central Park.  Now, here are some things I learned in yoga today...

  • I need an extra long yoga mat.  I nearly face-planted (um, on purpose, of course) on the hardwood floor with my toes hanging off the other end of the yoga mat.
  • My legs do not go as straight as the teacher seemed to think they should.
  • For a small fee, I could also try anti-gravity yoga, which is apparently like flying.  Stay tuned for that post, for sure.
  • I need a pedicure.
  • It is absolutely ridiculous to expect any self-respecting New Yorker to find inner peace for 90 minutes.  90 freaking minutes.
Tomorrow's stop is Equinox, home to New York's money-spending gym junkies.  It's pretty dang pricey, but not Soul Cycle pricey, and not for your first class.  So I'll go on the tour if it gets me a free spin class or two.  I got a free pass to FlyBarre as well, and since the ballet/yoga/pilates combo is my favorite, I'll check it out.  It won't be Barre3, but maybe it has a chance...at least for a free class that should be $32.  

So yes, I'm a little crazy.  Eventually I'll stop trying these places and just shell out the money and not think about it.  The craziest thing of all is that New York eventually wears you down and makes you find ways to justify it, like "well I got $850 back from my bike so maybe it's ok to pay for a month of ______________."  Here's an idea...maybe pay the credit card you used to buy the bike in the first place.  

Next up is the hair saga.  Deserves its own post.  But I'm telling you, if I manage to finally find a perfect fit for these two things, it would absolutely be worth staying in New York, just for those reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS