Back to December

Sunday, December 2, 2012

It is for real officially holiday season in New York.  And if you've never done holidays in New York, you are seriously missing out.  This is without a doubt the absolute best place in the world for Happy Hanukkahs, Merry Christmases, and ringing in a brand new year. Here's how we rang in December.

Columbia lit up College Walk.  It's my favorite.


Laura and I hit up Hell's Kitchen (it's a neighborhood, seriously) for the Teach for America alumni holiday festival.  As it turns out, it was actually a bunch of 22 year olds newbies just getting started with TFA.  Children sang holiday songs.


Even better...children sang Empire State of Mind.  Note to all men out there who might be someone I have children with someday.  Our kids will know every word to Empire State of Mind.  Right after they learn Jesus Loves Me, it's next up on the teaching list.  I mean, really...how adorable is this?



Next up?  Upper West Side birthday party for Lauren, one of my favorite New Yorker friends.  She's the best.  



Now, I've said it before, but New York is actually a surprisingly small town.  I walked into the birthday party and ran right into a friend from high school, who I probably haven't seen since high school.  Same thing happened a couple of months ago at a shop on Fifth Avenue.  Maybe there are just a lot of us ex-Panthers in the Big Apple, but it really does feel smaller than the eight million residents.  But it was a great birthday party and way to ring in December 1...that is until it was way way way late and we learned the hard way that late at night the 1 train is not the only train that stops at the 86th and Broadway station.  It's my church stop and gym stop and Cafe Lalo stop and I've never seen anything but the 1 stop at 86th, but when it's that late and you think you're so lucky to get there right as the subway is getting there, you're probably not actually that lucky.  Subways are notoriously few and far between late at night.

Which is how Dan, Claire, Laura and I ended up in Harlem at 2:00 a.m.  And that, my friends, is where the story of December 1, 2012 will now conclude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS