Home

Wednesday, November 7, 2012


So I have 37 different songs on my iPhone that have the word "home" in the title.  That's a lot of home people.  And as it turns out, I've been home to Oklahoma twice this Fall completely unexpectedly, with two more actual planned trips before the end of the year.  Lots of good Oklahoma time, just when it means the most.  My family is the greatest.

But somehow, somewhere along the way, New York City started to feel just a little bit like home.  How is that even possible?  This city that is so over the top and fast-paced and frantic all the time could not possibly ever be home.  But the one thing I have always known about New York is that it has a way of sneaking up on you...of reminding you how much you love it, just when you need it the most.  And after a terrible horrible no good very bad week last week, it's something about my six best friends dropping everything for a three-hour dinner my first night back that makes this city feel like home.  That, and the first snow of the season today.  It is impossible to not fall in love with New York during the first snow.  

And so while I decorate my Christmas tree (don't judge me), watch "Love Actually" (again, don't judge me), and watch that first snow, here's a selection of some of those 37 songs about home...

"Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear

The trouble it might drag you down

If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone

Cause I’m going to make this place your home"

"And I’ve been keeping all the letters that I wrote to you

Each one a line or two

“I’m fine baby, how are you?”

Well I would send them but I know that it’s just not enough

My words were cold and flat

And you deserve more than that

Another aeroplane

Another sunny place

I’m lucky, I know

But I wanna go home"

"Well I'm going home
Back to the place where I belong
And where your love has always been enough for me
I'm not running from

No, I think you got me all wrong
I don't regret this life I chose for me."

"The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home."

"Sometimes you just need a little home
A little "hey, you’ve been gone way too long"
Yeah, way too long
No matter how grown up you get
Oh, no matter how far you roam
Sometimes you just need a little home"

"And if you wait for me
I'll be the light in the dark if you lose your way

And if you wait for me
I'll be your voice when you don't know what to say

I'll be your shelter
I'll be your fate
I'll be forever
Wait for me
I'll be the last train
I'll be the last train home."

"I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me

Please have snow and mistletoe

And presents on the tree"

“Thank God for hometowns
First kisses and touchdowns
Thank God for the county lines that welcome you back in
When you were dying to get out
Thank God for Church pews
And all the faces that won’t forget you
And when you’re lost out in this crazy world
You got somewhere to go and get found
Thank God for hometowns”


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS