One Step At A Time

Friday, October 12, 2012

This pretty much sums it up...


This whole doctoral business?  What kind of crazy idea was this?  I mean, really.  Insane.  My head is full of stuff I do not understand.  Actually, that's not entirely true.  It's only the statistics I do not understand.  The rest, as I am learning, I am either brilliant enough to understand and argue...or I have become established enough in the Ivy Leagues that it's ok if I choose not to understand it.  It's my call...well, sort of.  But at least I am one step closer, as of this week.

Remember that big giant scary certification exam I took in August?  Just to catch you up, I spent the whole entire summer studying for it.  Here's a blog recap if you care to flash back.  They told us to expect results in November.  I spent the first month post-exam stressing about it and waiting anxiously for my scores...then I just kind of forgot about it.  Seriously...I barely remember what I even wrote about on the exam.  So anyways...flash forward to this past Wednesday.

I had a meeting scheduled with my professor to discuss my qualifying paper, the second step of doctoral certification along with the exam.  Now, you should know that this professor is everything you would expect from the Ivy League.  Older, brilliant, East Coast accent, incredibly sarcastic, may or may not drink in class.  So he gave me some really good feedback about my progress on the paper and then asked if I had checked my email that day.  I had...and there was nothing all that exciting from anyone school-related.  And then he proceeded to make me sweat it out for about five minutes.  But then he proudly told me that I passed my exam!!!  So yeah, I'm brilliant.  Rocked it.

Actually, I don't know my scores at all.  I just know that I passed, which is all I need to know.  And in true Columbia University fashion, he proceeded to open a celebratory bottle of ____________ (please choose one: diet coke/sparkling cider/wine) and we just sat and talked for an hour.  So you know you've arrived when you can sit and your processor treat you like you're the expert on something.  

Yep.  I'm kind of a big deal.

Actually, that's not true at all, but I felt like it for a little while.  Next step?  Finish that qualifying paper and I'm officially certified as a doctoral candidate, not just a plain old doctoral student.  Just one more step on this crazy journey.

And then you will all be forced to call me Doctor.  At least for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS