Lullaby of Broadway

Monday, June 11, 2012

I mean, you know, one day you're just walking home and you end up at the Tony Awards.  All in a day for a life in New York.

I fully realize how snobby this will sound, but Broadway musicals are my movies.  In the last year, I have been to a Broadway theater far more often than I've been to a movie theater.  Partly because I have a lot of visitors who want to experience the Great White Way.  Partly because I can get a Broadway student rush ticket for around $30, and movies can cost $20 here.  It's a no brainer.  So you can imagine that the Tony Awards are way more exciting for me than the Academy Awards.  Plus, how great is this...


I'm in the middle of my June intensive class session.  130 hours of class and study sessions in three weeks.  It is crazy exhausting.  Last week, I did six days of class from 9:00 a.m. to around 7:30 p.m.  Yesterday was my one day off, so I dropped in on the Broadway-themed spin class in honor of the Tony Awards.  The class was at Soul Cycle, which was literally right around the corner from the Tony Awards theater.  If you remember, Soul Cycle is where I saw Kelly Ripa that one time.  I loved loved loved it...it was just way too expensive.  But they sent me an email for a free class to "get my soul back," so I took them up on it.  And a Broadway-themed ride?  Best fun I've had in a long time.  

So on my way home, I walked by the front of the theater and found this...


But then I walked by the back of the theater and found this...


So much red carpet fun!  This was along Amsterdam Avenue from 73rd to 74th streets.  I got there just in time to watch photographers capture all the stars of the shows as they arrived.  All the news stations were doing interviews and tons of tourists were trying to figure out what was going on.  I stayed for about an hour, clearly having way more fun with that than the studying waiting at home.


And I mean, this just totally made my night.  Hello, Neil Patrick Harris...





I just adore NPH.  Love him in How I Met Your Mother.  Love him as Tony Awards host.  Love that I was in the exact right place at the exact right time to get great pictures.  So not a bad study break, you know?

Now, since you're wondering (or not, but I'm sharing anyways), here are the shows I've seen since living in New York (not including the ones I saw before I moved or on tour or stuff)...

Phantom of the Opera (twice)
Wicked (front row)
How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying (twice)
Spiderman
Memphis
Jersey Boys
Nice Work If You Can Get It
The Best Man
Newsies
Lion King
Billy Elliott
Rent

Probably seeing Rock of Ages next week for the second time.  I'm dying to see Once (staring a Baylor grad).  I have this goal to see them all, but the shows change fairly frequently, so we'll see.  But you know, nice work if you can get it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS