Waiting On The World To Change

Wednesday, May 16, 2012


I really, truly believe that education changes the world.  And by working in education on college campuses, I am so privileged to witness students' journeys to becoming more of what and who they want to be.  Just by being a part of their lives, I in some small way get to change the world every single day.  Most days, this is how I see my career and calling:

“You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world.” 
(Woodrow Wilson)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” 
(Margaret Mead)

And then sometimes, some days more than others, I just look at them and think, what in the world are you doing?  The nights I'm at the hospital at 3:00 a.m., or go through rooms full of garbage once they move out, or a variety of other stories I'm bound by confidentiality agreements not to disclose.  And I think to myself...you have got to be kidding me right now.

Yes, education changes the world every single day.  But some days, it's a lot less Woodrow Wilson and Margaret Mead, and it seems to be a lot more of this...

"The big deal is it’s part of my job, to make sure that you don’t grow up stupid. It’s bad for the world." 
(Friday Night Lights)

College students of New York City: please go home now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS