Flat on the Floor

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I did something bad, friends.

Set a really bad precedent for the rest of my life in New York.  Not sure if I'll ever be able to go back to my life knowing what I do now.  The bar has been set really stinking high.

Here it is.


Soul Cycle.  Flat on the floor pretty much describes my current state perfectly.  After an hour at New York's hottest, most exclusive, and let's face it, most expensive boutique spinning studio, I can barely move, but in that awesome, post-workout, feel good about yourself kind of way.  I had a really hard time carrying my one tiny little bag of Trader Joe's groceries back to the subway.  This was no ordinary spin class.

First, the entire class and very beautiful studio was lit only by candle.  Candle-lit spin?  It's pretty much the most serene, relaxing way to practically kill yourself that you can imagine.  Here's the studio, minus candle light...


Now, I've been addicted to spinning for about three years now.  I was at spin class every morning at 5:30 a.m. when I lived in Oklahoma, pretty much without fail.  I like to think I'm kind of tough.  It's a great cardio and lower-body workout, and occasionally the instructor would throw in an upper-body exercise or two.  Then came Soul Cycle...major intense spinning the entire time, combined with tons of crunches and push ups while still spinning.  At one point, when the not-so-nice but very inspirational instructor decided I hadn't added enough resistance to my bike, she not only turned my resistance knob up herself, but she then told the rest of the class to let me be an example of what could happen to them too.  And then there were weights.  Full upper-body workout, and again, still spinning.  I think the instructor summed it up best when she growled, "It's crazy how a one-pound weight is destroying your life right now."  Yep.

But people, it's a good thing that I wore my very best, brand new, most adorable Lululemon workout outfit.  Cause there I was, one spin bike away from Kelly Ripa.  The woman is ripped.  She's so stinking tiny.  I felt massive next to her.  Also, she made it look so dang easy.  There I am practically dying on my spin bike, and she's just smiling along.  But she was super nice and smiled at me after and I'm pretty sure we're best friends now.

I found a video of Kelly at Soul Cycle from Live with Regis and Kelly (even though it's just Live with Kelly now).  I'm a little hesitant to post, since it makes it looks so easy.  Do not be fooled.


Obviously, if Kelly Ripa frequents Soul Cycle, I cannot afford to be there too.  I went today on the $20 first-timer discount.  Normal is $32 per class.  Yikesabee.  Probably not going to happen.  But in case you're looking for a gift for my upcoming birthday, this special edition Soul Cycle would be just lovely.  They are pre-ordering now for summer delivery.  Only $2,200.  Total bargain.


Now if you'll excuse me, my arms are way too sore for all this typing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the workout. I've seen Kelly Ripa before and you are right - she is so tiny and buff at the same time. But, that is way too expensive for a spin class!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS