Three Greatest Words

Saturday, April 28, 2012

If you ask me, the three greatest words in the English language are undoubtedly, "No Other Calls."


At least, for today.  Clearly, "I love you" would be really good too.  (Really darn good.)


But for today, I needed "no other calls" like I cannot even begin to describe.  You see, "no other calls" is what I write at the end of my duty report when I have been the Graduate Hall Director on call.  Those three words may come after a long series of incident reports, chats with Public Safety, and visits to the hospital.  Or, they may follow, "All RAs called in on time."  If that's the case, then that means it was totally quiet and there were no calls to the duty phone.  And those, my friends, are my most favorite nights.  


Last semester, I got almost no calls when I was on duty.  I was the lucky one of the nine of us.  This semester, not so lucky.  I clearly cannot share any details, but let's just say I have had a lot of sleepless nights lately.  A third of all of my hospital visits all year have occurred in the last week and a half.  If it tells you anything, the last time I walked into the emergency room, the security guard said, "Oh you've been here thousands of times.  You know what to do.  Good to see you again!"


I.  Am.  Tired.


So very tired.  Now, I'm not complaining, because this on-call business provides an all-expenses paid apartment in maybe the greatest city in the entire world.  Seriously, no complaints from me.  It's just been a rough couple of weeks.  So last night, I picked up the duty phone, wrapped up an awesome work event with my RAs, and went home to await the inevitable trips to the local emergency room.  And they didn't happen.  And the phone didn't ring.  Not even once.  And I slept.  


My dad is convinced I should have gone to med school instead.  My best friend thinks a pysch degree would really pay off.  I'm starting to agree on both accounts.  Oh, the things I have seen.  And while I have big dreams for my life and hopes of things yet to come, for today, the most glorious thing that could possibly have happened to me was absolutely, "no other calls."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS