On My Way Here

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Twelve years ago, pretty much right about now, this is where it all began.


Who new that one walk through those iron gates would lead to this crazy love affair with a city called New York?  Or this much time and energy and, let's be honest, money spent on some tiny little island called Manhattan.  A few days in the Big Apple and one silly little high school journalism conference was all it took.  It was really over before it ever began.

So it was pretty funny to walk through those stately iron gates today, underneath that same sign, through crowds of overeager teenagers just thrilled to set foot on campus.  They have no clue...but really, I didn't either.  Still don't, if I'm being totally honest.

Twelve years ago on St. Patrick's Day, I kind of fell in love.  Big, beautiful New York snow, parade down Fifth Avenue, Tiffany & Co.  Wonderful.  Now, just to put it out there, if you need to find me this St. Patrick's Day, you should probably start with the pediatric emergency room at St. Luke's hospital.  On call for the biggest party holiday of the year?  Almost as good as being on call for Halloween, which I also spent making new friends in a Harlem hospital.  So feel free to stop by or bring cookies or call to keep me company.  I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS