Marry Me

Monday, March 12, 2012

Did you hear?  We had a wedding.


So I’ve just been a little busy lately, and I sort of forgot to blog.  This whole combination of new city, new job, Ivy League doctorate, and wedding of the century?  Turns out it was a bad combination for the blog.  But we’re back, with tons of happy updates.  Expect lots of catching up posts over the next few days.

(Side note: you should know that I am currently on a flight back to New York, watching Footloose and eating the most amazing wedding cake and miniature cherry pies.)

So this wedding.  It was a big deal. 

To recap, Baby Sister met Just Matt on July 9, got engaged November 16, and got married March 10.  Talk about a whirlwind.  We have been busy people.

It was, without a doubt, the most perfect wedding in the history of marriage ceremonies.  You know how something always goes wrong in a ceremony, like the best man forgetting the ring or the flower girl throwing a fit or someone somewhere doing something wrong?  Baby Sister planned an absolutely flawless ceremony.  It was like a fairytale or the kind of ceremony you see in movies.  Perfection.

And as a bonus, I didn’t trip walking down the aisle.  Not going to lie, I was pretty nervous.  I have actually never been a bridesmaid, much less the maid of honor.  I was terrified.  Scared that I would trip walking down the aisle, walk at New Yorker speed instead of sweet bridesmaid speed, pass out during the ceremony, trip over my own dress trying to fluff her dress, drop the groom’s ring from my thumb, forget to turn at the right time, fail to remember to switch bouquets, etc. etc.  The six beautiful bridesmaids had a pact that if one girl fell, all the other girls behind her would do the same.  Too bad I was the last one.  Good thing my youngest cousin agreed to create a diversion worse that whatever I might possibly do during the ceremony.  Thankfully, he didn’t have to.  All was so very perfect.

Josh and Kiley, my favorite worship leaders/friends, serenaded the bridesmaids down the aisle with, “How Deep The Father’s Love.”  Zoe, our flower girl who might as well be Eloise at The Plaza, did so great with a chapel of 400 people watching.  And then the music changed, “Butterfly Waltz” started, and my heart pounded.  I signaled to The Chief to stand, which signaled to the other 400 people to await the bride’s entrance.  And then the chapel doors opened.  Heart pounding.  Dad and Baby Sister floating toward me.  Praying for God’s peace and blessings and not to fall down because I was shaking so much. 

And everyone remembered their lines and roles and all the details.  I really thought I would be fine and wouldn’t cry.  And I was, until my sister, still with her arm in my dad’s, was crying.  I couldn’t help it.  Then my uncle, who performed most of the ceremony, talked about the day she was born and how my sister and I were like the daughters they never had.  He was crying, she was crying, I was crying, every single person on that stage was crying.  But it was beautiful. 

Before we knew it, they were married.  MARRIED.  Can you believe it?  Ukulele in hand, Josh serenaded them back down the aisle to “Somewhere Over The Rainbow,” and that was it.  Husband and wife. 

The best man and I quickly followed, and someone forced me into the prayer room just off the chapel.  OK, I thought, I guess I’m supposed to pray for them.  Didn’t know that, but cool.  Turns out, it was the marriage license signing.  I totally forgot about that part!  But that was one of my favorite moments of the whole day, because it was just me, the best man, my uncle, and Em and Matt.  We had a few moments to laugh, recover, and say a whole bunch of, “can you believe you’re married???”  So very fun. 

Next up?  Official pictures and official party?  With my very married Baby Sister and her new husband.  How strange is that?  And the official pictures were beautiful.  Here’s a sneak peak until we get the full batch.  Em’s college friend Heather did a fantastic job…





But let’s rewind a little, because there are just so many details to share…

1 comment:

  1. I'm just enjoying reading the series on Em's wedding so much. Y'all looked beautiful and its so fun to read about other people who are in love (and who have whirlwind courtships and marriages like a certain other couple I know) :) Many happinesses to them!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS