Love Wins

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When did my baby sister grow up and get so gorgeous?


Right after the ceremony, I have this vague memory during photos of the tornado siren sounding in the background.  Hello, noon in Oklahoma.  Also pretty appropriate for a Baby Sister wedding.  Twister and Gary England were her first loves, but I’m pretty sure Just Matt is ok with that.

By the time I made it to the reception, the party was in full swing.  Those 400 guests were enjoying the wedding brunch…biscuit bar with homemade jams and jellies, scones, asparagus with lemon tarragon dip, fresh fruit.  Oh yeah, and the church Starbucks.  Yes, don’t judge.  My church has a Starbucks.  Because they love Emily, they were more than willing to serve up a host of sweet espresso coffee creations.  So much fun.  Of course, I never really ate any of it.  But people, that cake was good. 

Seriously, look how beautiful this cake is.  Em saw a picture on Pinterest and worked with a cake designer to recreate the look.  After four tastings, she finally had the perfect wedding treat…vanilla almond cake (not too sweet) with coconut flakes and filling.  I have had more wedding cake in the last three days that I will ever admit to any of you.  Since Matt isn’t a big sweets fan, there were mini cherry pies (his favorite!) and my granddaddy’s famous homemade peanut brittle.  Yum yum yum.



And yes, I caught the bouquet.  


I mean, it sort of dropped and broke a little, but I totally caught it.  But really, none of the other bridesmaids even made an attempt.  There was an agreement made pre-ceremony (which I had nothing to do with) that it should be me.  So boys, please call and ask me on a date now.  Thanks so much. 

There were so many people at the reception I never got the chance to talk to.  I really, really wanted to, and I just had no idea how busy we would all be.  For every person I loved seeing and catching up with, there were two more I didn’t connect with.  Please accept this public apology if you were one of those people.  I guess that’s what you get with a big wedding. 

Before I knew it, my sister and brand new brother-in-law had to leave.  Something about being ready to start their honeymoon…  So we waved goodbye with sweet ribbon wands and they were off.  


I mean, until I saw them back at the house 20 minutes later.  You see, it was my job to follow them to my mom’s house to bring her things from the bride’s room and food packed up from the reception.  I walked in to find them both passed out on the floor.  They were exhausted.  I managed to convince the bride to change from wedding gown to travel clothes, convinced them both to get up off the floor and eat their reception food, and told them both exactly when to go to the airport.  A few hugs and an “I love you” later, they were off to Savannah, Georgia for a sweet Southern honeymoon to relax after their huge Southern country wedding. 

And people, they earned it.  So many parties and people, and they were so very gracious through all of it.  They stood in the receiving line to thank every single person at that wedding.  But boy do they need the vacation! 

Come to think of it, I could use the vacation too.  Until then, more wedding cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS