Impossible Things

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
(Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll)

So here's my goal.  I'm putting it out there for {the ivy project} and the world so that someone can hold me to it...or tell me I'm insane.  Either way.

My goal is to be ABD by my 30th birthday.

Now, I realize that most of you don't know or care what ABD even means.  Also, I realize that the particular date is a little sooner than I would like.  But here goes...

ABD is academic talk for "All But Dissertation."  It's the point in this whole crazy process when you have completed all the requirements (coursework, certification exam, qualifying paper, writing the proposal, and defending the proposal) and just have to write the actual dissertation itself.  In a traditional doctoral program, it might take someone 8-10 years to get to that point, if not even longer.  My goal, start of coursework to ABD, is two years.

Yep, insane.

Of course, I would still have to write the dissertation, which might take a year or two.  Obviously, I'm shooting for the short end of that timeline.  But still.  I would like to defend my proposal and have all those other requirements done right around the time I finish coursework.  I want the degree.  I want to be able to teach.  I do not want this thing to take eight years of my life.  It will not happen.

I have other stuff to do, you know?

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work, Katie!! And hold to your goal - unless life takes you somewhere else. :) I was delayed in the dissertation process almost a year because of starting to date and then marry Curby... So hold just tightly enough to get there, but loosely enough that if something else comes up, you can allow yourself to be distracted. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS