Bright Lights, Big City

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

So there I was, skinny jeans, Columbia sweatshirt, Kate Spade bag, ballet flats, curly hair...

You know, just another lazy Wednesday in Manhattan until you stumble onto the set of a Justin Timberlake movie, literally filming right outside of my apartment building's front door.  When I went to work this morning, there were a whole bunch of old timey cars on the block, right where the normal looking cars are usually parked.  Then at lunchtime, I discovered my 2012 residence had transformed into 1960s New York...





They brought in old news stands, vintage cabs, truckloads of snow, and dozens of crew members.  They even replaced the subway signs...


This one's a work in progress, as you can see.  It's actually the 116th stop on the 1 train.  That suitcase ad on top probably won't last long, but I do love the vintage subway signs.  Wonder if they would let me keep it?

And no, I have not seen Justin Timberlake yet, but I'm doing my best people.  There are tons of people out there, mostly twenty-something college girls trying to convince JT to fall in love with them.  I may or may not be one of them.  Apparently, it's a new Cohen brothers movie about a singer-songwriter in the 1960s, also featuring Carey Mulligan and John Goodman.

Kind of looks like I'm living on the set of Mad Men.

This actually happens a lot on my block.  It's a beautiful, tree lined street that looks like New York, but without the hustle and bustle of the big city.

See?  I told you so...



They filmed a Lifetime pilot called Modern Love in the fall, again right outside of my apartment.  Patrick Dempsey's apartment in Enchanted?  Building on the corner, just before Riverside Park.



(Please excuse this brief pause as I daydream about Patrick Dempsey actually living in the building on the corner...)

So yeah, for as much as I insist that life in New York is not like the media portrays, that real responsibilities get in the way of a tourist's version of this city, and that it is so much harder to live here than anyone thinks, sometimes it really is just like living in a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS