You Won't Find This

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Here is what they don't sell in New York City...

Velveeta and breakfast sausage.

Suddenly I understand why Oklahoma is the seventh most overweight state in the nation.

I eat ridiculously healthy almost all of the time, work out a lot, and am generally a very health-conscious person.  But sometimes a Southern girl just needs comfort food, you know?  Now don't get me wrong.  I have absolutely no reason to eat either Velveeta processed cheese or fattening breakfast sausage, especially since I live alone.  But just hear me out...

I wanted to make some queso for a Superbowl party.  Obviously, I cared a little more about the party than the game.  And I lived in Texas for a long time, so I have a lot of variations on a queso recipe, all of which require Velveeta to be added to a handful of other ingredients.  I can't help it.  It's how we are raised down there.  Off I go to the grocery store...and then five more grocery stores.  No luck.  No Velveeta.  Who knew?  Oh, Texas, I miss you so...

And then this week I went looking for breakfast sausage.  I can't help it.  All of my healthy-eating willpower was weakened...my cold got the better of me and I just needed comfort food.  I know I shouldn't have done it, but I didn't feel good and I wanted biscuits and sausage.  Judge away.  But nope. No breakfast sausage to be found either.  They have all sorts of weird, kosher, organic, gluten free, chicken apple sausage substitutes, but no Jimmy Dean.

I just assumed that these things were a part of American supermarket life everywhere.  I had no idea that the rest of the country had no idea about Velveeta and breakfast sausage.  I mean, yes, I am much healthier now, but that's no fun.

What's an Okie to do?

1 comment:

  1. Internet? Surely Jimmy Dean ships! Hang in there, Katie, you'll be home soon.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS