Deep Dark Secrets

Monday, January 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure I just became an official New Yorker.  Or at least an official Upper West Sider.  In the most Manhattan thing I've done to date, I just ordered groceries online.  Yep, seriously.  I am that girl.

Now, one of my favorite things is grocery shopping, and I'm not even kidding.  I am a total foodie.  I really love buying groceries, especially if it is at a really cool market or grocery store.  I love cooking, so grocery shopping seems like a pretty natural extension of that.  One of my favorite things about living in New York is all the farmer's markets and different places to pick up exciting ingredients for dinner.  One of my high school BFFs pretty accurately summed me up when she said that she takes some out of town visitors to amusements parks or museums, and she takes me to Whole Foods.  Chicago introduced me to Trader Joe's, and I'm pretty sure I would move to Seattle just for Pike Place Market.  So you get the point...

But here's something else, and you probably only know it if you've known me a long, long time.  I am a former fat kid.  Laugh if you want...I'm kind of proud of who I am now.  But yes, there are about eight years of school photos that will never be shown.  It was bad.  In total since high school, I've lost around 70 pounds, and about half of that has been post-college.  So I have worked really, really, really hard to get to the size four I am today.  And here's how I did it...

Spinning and Special K Red Berries

I am so serious.

(I promise, this all relates to buying groceries online.  Hang on.)

Almost three years ago, a New York friend became religiously addicted to Spinning.  I had never been, and really only exercised sporadically.  But in a mix of trying to prove that I too could be a New Yorker and trying to impress said friend, I gave it a shot.  And I was sure I was going to die.  But then I went back.  And then I went every day.  And it was the first exercise that I wanted to do, not felt like I should do.  Loved the stress relief of a post-work spin class, loved the lighting, loved the music, loved my new gym friends.  So with my daily hour of super intense spinning, other things started to change too.  I ate a little healthier, cut out my beloved Starbucks drinks, etc. etc.  It worked pretty fast too.

Now, I had tried the whole silly Special K diet off and on in the past.  You know, the tv commercials for replace two meals a day with a bowl of Special K and lose six pounds in two weeks?  I never, ever made it through the two weeks.  But armed with a new healthier lifestyle, I tried again.  I don't remember why I tried again, but it made sense at the time.  And I made it all the way through the two weeks, and then I just kept going.  Took milk and cereal to work and everything.  My coworkers were a little worried.  Somewhere along the way, I stopped counting and just ate it because I liked it.  It is good stuff.

(See, now we're back to groceries.  I told you.)

So as you can imagine, I buy a lot of Special K Red Berries.  In a normal day, I do cereal for breakfast and lunch, then cook something yummy for dinner.  I'm not obsessive.  If visitors are in town, we go to the Hungarian Pastry Shop and Shake Shack.  I just try not to go overboard when it's just me.  But here's the problem.  I moved to Manhattan, where cereal in my neighborhood is $7 a box.  For the small box.  So for a girl who goes through at least two boxes of cereal a week, that adds up fast.  Last semester, my boss took me to Costco, where I seriously stocked up.  But when I came back from Christmas in Oklahoma, my cabinets were sad and empty.  Naturally, I wandered down to the neighborhood grocery store on my corner, where two boxes of cereal cost me $18.

So I obviously needed a new plan.

Thus, my online grocery shopping.  Thank you, FreshDirect.  Seriously, it was amazing.  You can buy eggs and tomatoes and lobster and everything online, and they deliver it right to your door when you tell them to.  And here's the best part...I bought 12 boxes of Special K Red Berries for $36 with only $5.99 delivery.  My mom thought it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, mostly because my level of excitement was a little embarrassing.  But it was really, really exciting.

The moral to the story?  Find something you love to do (spinning) and make adjustments where you can (cereal).  I don't deprive myself at all.  I love pasta and Mexican and cheese and cake a lot.  I just don't do it at every single meal.  I would rather be happy and not a supermodel than super skinny and miserable.  But if the Special K company could hook me up with a spokesperson gig (like Jared and Subway), that would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS