Who Knew

Monday, October 31, 2011

The way I see it, being a hall director is a lot like being a parent.  Or at least, what I can tell parenting is like from movies and reality TV and Parenthood.

Here are my wise observations from being on call on Halloween weekend in New York City...

1.  No one really tells you what it's like until you're in the middle of it.  You think you know, but then you know that you have no clue.

2.  Sleep when the baby/duty phone is sleeping.

3.  Pray for quiet.  Enlist other people to pray for quiet.  More than that, pray for patience.  A lot of it.

4.  No matter what, you have to pretend that what you see at the hospital doesn't bother you in the slightest.  Put on your brave face and pretend like that is absolutely the place you want to be.

5.  Drink stronger coffee.

6.  Having the duty phone/baby changes the game.  Even when it's quiet, you just don't really sleep, because you're busy listening for the slightest sound.  Nervous takes on a whole new meaning.

7.  Your sleep patterns might never be the same again.  This should be appropriately mourned.  Attention should be paid...if only you had the time/energy.

8.  You absolutely must resist the urge to say what you really think.  Again, pray for patience.

9.  Have one single bag that has everything ready to go.  My friends with babies say that having a purse and a diaper bag is too much, because you will forget something.  My hall director friends have a duty bag...I always have wallet, keys, duty binder, phone charger, hospital book, snack, and emergency contact info.  Baby or duty, you always carry way more stuff than you really need.

10.    Everything seems like an emergency at 2 a.m.  And 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. and 5 a.m.  It is a never-ending cycle of panic attacks and hard phone calls and scrapped knees and necessary hugs.

For the record, I am ridiculously excited about having no plans tonight, which is actually Halloween.  I plan to do absolutely nothing productive with my life other than watch How I Met Your Mother and Castle.  Thrilled about this.

And yes, I missed out on the whole cute baby thing and went straight to college student drama.  But maybe, just maybe, when I actually have the cute babies, maybe I'll be a whole lot more patient.  Or maybe I will still have no clue, because you can never really prepare, can you?  And I will have plenty of lattes and prayers to see me through.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Katie...this is so my life. I forgot to take my Kindle to the ER the other night and was there for HOURS with NOTHING to do. Rookie mistake.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS