A Tale of Two Evenings

Friday, October 14, 2011

What a 48 hours it has been...

Two nights ago, I celebrated in style with one of my best friends.  It's a good thing to have good friends, and this particular one has been around for about the last 20 years of my life.  Yes, we were eight years old.  That's saying a lot people.  That's also a lot of experiences and stories that will never be told. 

Folks, we hit the town.  Celebrated my friend's last year in the 20s big time.  First stop?  Gramercy Park Hotel rooftop terrace.   I am just basically so in love with this place.  Ever need to plan a grand romantic surprise for me?  This would be an excellent location choice.  Amazing.


Next, we headed around the corner to ABC Kitchen.  Yes, it sounds like a shady deli.  Turns out it was the 2011 best new restaurant of the year in the entire country. 


It was, without a doubt, the best meal I have ever had in this city.  One of the top five meals I've ever had anywhere.  And folks, it came with the price tag to prove it.  Lucky for me, I have friends in high places.  Again, if you're looking to bank roll a fabulous New York evening, I will happily be your guest.  Our 9:30 p.m. dinner reservations were nearly impossible to get, and it was packed on a Wednesday night.  In classic New York beautiful people style, we closed the place down at 1:00 a.m.  Always thankful for a late night taxi when it's raining, I sleepily fell into bed at 1:30 a.m.  If you're counting, that's about four hours past my bedtime.  But it was so, so worth it.

Which brings us to last night.  And what a reality check it was.  Because this is where I spent my evening...


Part of my role as hall director is to accompany students to the hospital if it happens to be my night on call.  There are nine of us hall directors, and until last night I held the title of only hall director who had yet to respond to a medical emergency or go to the hospital.  I actually front-loaded my on call nights, so I'm almost done until after the winter holidays.  I've just been lucky. 

But last night... I returned from staff meeting at 9:45 p.m. and had just switched from jeans to pajamas when the phone rang.  I met the abulance, resolved the situation, and returned to my cozy apartment and cozy pajamas.  And then the phone rang again, which is how I found myself at a hospital in Harlem at midnight on a Thursday.  Luckily, the student is fine, and I was able to be a friendly face in a scary ER.  Still, way past my bedtime.

And as I fell sleepily into bed at 1:30 a.m., I couldn't help but long for the previous night and fabulous food and pretty shoes.     Because life should have more pretty shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS