Oh Happy Day

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Yesterday I went to Costco. 

And people, I was really nervous about it.  I heard horror stories about the warehouse store.  There's a whole How I Met Your Mother episode about how this place is everything wrong with New York City, because it's not actually New York City.  It's this alternate universe where shopping in bulk seems like a perfectly normal thing to do. 

Now, we have Sam's in Oklahoma, which is basically the same thing.  I do not like Sam's.  Shopping in bulk is pretty much everything that's wrong with America.  On a related note, I'm not a huge Wal-Mart fan either (sorry to disappoint).  I'm a Target girl. 

But on to Costco.  My supervisor, co-hall director, and I trekked to East Harlem to stock up on snacks, treats, and supplies for the 500 or so residents in our area.  I was told to wear comfortable shoes and plan to be there awhile.  Still, I was not so thrilled about the trip.

But imagine my joy when the taxi arrived and I saw this...


Oh man.  I was ecstatic.  Beyond thrilled.  Crazy giddy.  It's embarrassing, really.  I know I live in the shopping capital of the world with Macy's and Bloomingdales and all sorts of beautiful things, but I could not contain my joy in an unexpected Target trip. 

Now, just to set the scene, here is what the aisles in my corner "supermarket" look like...


Not so super.  The aisles are just wide enough for me to fit through with a hand basket.  A Texas-sized person simply would not fit in this grocery store.  (Again...think Marshall on HIMYM).

Now, here is what Target looked like...


Beautiful.  Just like a real store and everything.  Once I walked in, I could have been in Oklahoma or Texas or anywhere my heart dreamed.  I could push a basket as large as I wanted and buy all my Target favorites at Oklahoma prices, not expensive Manhattan standards.  I was on cloud nine.

My co-hall director, in her adorable South African accent, asked more than once, "Katie, why are you taking pictures of the Target?"  But it was a momentous occasion. 

To clarify, this complex was built like a parking garage.  Costco on 1, Target on 2, Best Buy on 3, Old Navy and such on 4.  Yes, we did make it to Costco.  No, I did not like it.  Yes, I did buy a five-pound tub of cookie dough to bake cookies for my RA meeting tonight.  No, I do not plan on eating the five-pound tub of cookie dough.


We purchased so much at Costco that we barely fit in the cab.  And by cab, I mean gypsy cab.  Literally a guy with an explorer that my boss paid to drive us back across Manhattan to campus.  This seemed to be a perfectly normal thing for my fellow shoppers, but I was worried people.  Don't tell my dad about that part.

And while I don't plan on making the journey across town often, it just makes me happy knowing that Target sits just one (gypsy) cab ride away.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! I am very much looking forward to a trip to Target immediately upon arrival on U.S. soil. (Okay, probably not immediately. But hopefully within one week.)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS