Days Like These

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Be honest.  Unless you are one of my student affairs friends, you don't really know what I do, right?  You can probably make a pretty good guess...something about college and students and school.  You get the general idea.  You are probably secretly wondering why in the world I need a doctorate to do what I do.

Some days, I'm not so sure either.  There are days when I spend more time than I'd like to admit making craft projects and collecting glue sticks and making sure there are enough cookies.  Those days make me wonder why I have two degrees from Baylor University ($$$)  and am working hard on a doctorate from an Ivy League school ($$$$$$$$$$$$$), because those days feel more like kindergarten than college.  There are days when I feel like all I do is fight the system and deal with administrators who just don't get it or understand students.  There are days when every single student seems irrational or angry or so self-centered that I can't even see straight, and I daydream longingly about getting paid to sit in the park and write novels.  There are a lot of days I just want to give up.

And then there are days like today, when I am reminded that what I do matters in a big way. 

Days that could frustrate me, since I had two intoxicated students and an incident report form before 10:00 a.m.  Days that could frustrate me, since the RAs were late to their one on one meetings.  Days that could frustrate me, since I accomplished nothing that I planned and it's only Tuesday.

But on days like these, I get to reassure scared students.  I help the student who just can't handle it anymore feel like she might get through the day after all.  I realize the imporance of the words, "I will be here for you."  I see a hug change the course of a really awful morning.  I might get to be the first person to say, "You are worth it."  I listen.  I play mom to girls who just need someone to love them.  I get to be big sister for the things they can't tell their real moms. 

I get to be a little bit of light and peace in a really dark, stressful, overwhelming city.

My good friend Kali shared this blog last week, and I've become obsessed.  Though I've never met the author, I feel like we have much to share and highly recommend you read this post...  A Job Called Hope

And on days like these, when I want so badly to stay in bed and watch morning news shows, God does a really good job of reminding me that I have more to do than that.  And that just maybe, this whole crazy move to New York City wasn't so crazy after all for a little while, just "for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14).

Because at the end of the day, that's all this job really is...hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS