What A Beautiful Day

Saturday, June 11, 2011


Even in an Ivy League doctoral degree program, who doesn’t love a good field trip?

Now, just to put it out there, the last time I went on a class field trip, I was with 18 or so of my best friends.  Oh yeah, and Brad Pitt was there. 

Seriously. 

So that’s hard to top, but this week’s field trip was pretty fun, too.

As part of my Life History and Adult Education class, we were assigned to travel in groups to locations in New York that represent significant learning experiences for us.  This class is unlike any class I have ever experienced.  There is a textbook and all, but the subject of the course is the students themselves…how do they learn, what were significant experiences, etc.  So for the entire class, we write life narratives, tell our life stories, and basically just talk about ourselves.  Then we talk in small groups about each other. 

It’s kind of like group counseling.

I immediately thought of so many influential, monumental New York places of significant learning in my life…Tiffany and Co., Bloomingdales, Henri Bendel, etc.  Somehow I felt like that wasn’t exactly what the professor had in mind, but I did learn a lot at those places.  Don’t judge me.

(Sidenote: I later found out that a woman from the previous cohort took her field trip group to Tiffany and Co and bought a diamond ring for her “significant learning experience.”  Dang it.  Do overs?)

So my group started in Columbus Circle, the location of one woman’s first job in Manhattan.  We stopped in for coffee, with a pretty amazing view to begin the day…



Next, we traveled to Chinatown for our second stop.  A man in our group spent a lot of time there as a child.  He took us on a walking tour of the area, pointing out all the important places along the way.  I now know the three best places to eat authentic dumplings and dim sum.  (Hint: they all three have “hop” in the name.)

Finally, it was my turn.  After much deliberation, I settled on Little Italy.  I daydream about my summer in Florence pretty much constantly…the lifestyle, food, gelato, and mid-day naps.  Little Italy was as close as I could get, but it was a pretty good substitute.  We enjoyed fresh pasta in a local trattoria and lost track of time over a good meal. 

Good times.

We went our separate ways, which of course lead me to Max Brenner for “I sort of survived the first week” celebratory Melting Chocolate Truffle Heart Surprise Cake.  That is actually what it is called…please refer to previous blog posts for a more detailed description.  


I wandered my way through a Manhattan summer day, and it was lovely.  Five miles later, I had walked from 14th and Broadway to 121st and Broadway.  That cancels out the cake, right?

1 comment:

  1. I loved our Brad Pitt-inclusive field trip! But frankly your most recent field trip sounds like it involved WAY better food. :) Maybe I'll get to visit you in NYC someday... in the meantime, I'm just enjoying living with you virtually. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS