1983

Saturday, June 18, 2011

I've these dreams of walking home
Home where it used to be
And everything is as it was
Frozen in front of me 
Here I stand 6 feet small romanticizing years ago
But it's a bitter sweet feeling hearing "Wrapped Around Your Finger" on the radio 
And these days I wish I was 6 again
Oh make me a red cape, I wanna be Superman 
Oh, if only my life was more like 1983 
All these things would be more like they were at the start of me
Had it made in 83 


John Mayer said it all.


Whew.  Two-thirds of the way done.

I am ridiculously exhausted.  Not by the work load, intensity, assignments, people or anything...just the actual physical amount of time required to be somewhere.  These 12 hour class days are getting a little old.  It's just hard to be intelligent for that long every day (insert laughter here).  As it turns out, week two is definitely the most intense of the three week intensive session.  I'm about to start my 1.25 day weekend (one more meeting before then) and then I have 4.5 days of class left.  When I board the plane Friday night, I will have completed three entire doctoral level courses in three weeks.  No wonder I'm tired.  I am looking forward to week three, which should be slightly less insane (but still insane).

Mostly, I'm looking forward to home.

Don't get me wrong, New York is amazing.  Last night I went to Bloomingdales, just because I could.  I love being here.  I just bought groceries at Whole Foods and am enjoying an amazing coffee shop right now.  In the last week, I've been to Magnolia Bakery and seen Spiderman on Broadway.

It. Is. Amazing.

But it's not home.  And the people aren't my people, not by a long shot.

I changed my plane ticket to go home a day early.  I have never, in my entire life, paid the fee to change a plane ticket.  But in the moment, the change fee seemed well worth an extra day at home.  Worth the extra 24 hours of my people and Mexican food and BFF's birthday celebration and all the really good things in life.

It's good, it really is.  It's just not everything, you know?  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to your mental exhaustion! I'm almost done with 18 doctoral credits and thought about taking a break for awhile. Ha, of course I won't, but it's a nice idea! So glad you will be home in a few days, though!!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS