Run for the Roses

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Yippee!  Today is my absolutely favorite holiday.  I am so very excited.  I've been looking forward to it for a while now.  Planning for it.  Counting down to the day.  It's finally here!  Now, even if you are one of my best friends, you're reading this wondering what is so special about today.  It's just Saturday, but it's not broadcast in little red letters on the calendar.  Well, my friends, it should be.

Happy Derby Day!


Yes, I'm serious.  The first Saturday in May really, truly is my favorite holiday.  My family celebrates the Kentucky Derby the way most normal, American families celebrate Thanksgiving.  It is a holiday for us. We all know not to make any major plans on Derby Day, because it is a day you should spend with your family.  Stop laughing at me people...it's a big deal.

Here are a few things you should know about the Kentucky Derby.  You might want to take notes.  There will be a quiz later.

The Kentucky Derby is run at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.  The track is a mile and a half long.  I was born in Louisville, not far from there.  This weekend actually is a holiday in Louisville (schools close on Friday and everyone parties all weekend).  It's in my blood.  

It's the greatest, fastest two minutes in sports, and a lot can happen in two minutes.  Lives can change.  Legacies are made in 120 seconds.

Horses have cool names.  When I win the lottery, I will buy a horse farm in Kentucky.  I will have a Derby horse...just working on the name now.  He will be a winner.  Jockeys wear awesome jerseys and colors.  My jockey will have an emerald green and sort of dark rosy pink jersey.  

You absolutely, simply must wear a hat.  Not wearing a hat to the Kentucky Derby is like not wearing a hat to the royal wedding.  Everyone will talk about you behind your back.  When I go to the Derby, I will call that guy in London who did all the royal wedding hats.

Just like on Thanksgiving, there are foods you only eat on Derby Day.  You cannot do Derby Day without benedictine dip, strawberries and mint, mint juleps, etc.  We pretty much just eat all day, staying glued to the TV until the 6:25 eastern post time.  Tune into NBC from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. for all the highlights.  The Chief even added a special sports channel package to our digital cable so we could watch the extended, all day coverage.  Do Not Call Me During Derby Coverage.  :-)

So that's the short version for all you Derby newbies.  Call me if you want to come to the party.  Just make sure you are wearing a hat...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS