God Of This City

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You all know how much I simply adore New York and all things related to it.  Talk about it a lot.  Really just can't get enough.

But there are two places I just really do love more.

And today is just a strange day.

And this week is just a strange week.

I've lived a lot of places...New York (a post September 11 New York), Philly and Italy for a summer each and a few other brief stints thrown in for good measure.  But there are only two that feel like home...

Waco, Texas and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma will always be home, each for different reasons.  I am
blessed to have so many amazing options and opportunities in my life.  At the end of the day, if I was in one of those two places, I would be a happy girl.  If I raised kids in either of those places, they would be (fingers crossed) happy kids.  So it's rather strange to live in Oklahoma City, where what happened 16 years ago today will never be forgotten, knowing that for six years of my life I lived in Waco, where what happened 18 years ago today will never be forgotten. 

I can't really explain it. 

Even more, I love the life of student affairs, higher education, and the idea of being a perpetual college student.  It's really a fabulous lifestyle most of the time.  College students are awesome, special, ridiculous people.  8.5 days out of 10, it's a pretty fun job.  You should try it sometime.  But beyond the unexplainable odd feeling that comes with April 19 is the uneasy feeling of this entire week.  Eleven years ago tomorrow, I was sitting in sophomore world history when everyone suddenly knew exactly where Columbine High School was located.  Four years and just a few days ago, I returned from a higher ed planning and culture class, turned on my TV, and knew my life in higher ed would never be the same.  Because it wasn't just Virginia Tech...it was every single person who lives, breathes, and loves college life.

So even though I secretly want to take this week off of work every year, hide under the covers, and watch Lifetime movies all week, I don't. 

Because they are worth remembering. 

And You're the God of this city.

And greater things have yet to be done here.


"We come here to remember those who were killed, those who survived and those changed forever. May all who leave here know the impact of violence. May this memorial offer comfort, strength, peace, hope and serenity."  (words etched on Oklahoma City National Memorial)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS