Somewhere with You

Saturday, March 19, 2011

2 a.m. 

Irish pub in old town Philadelphia.

200 or so twenty-something student affairs professionals.  (We are a super fun bunch.)

Every single person knew every single word to the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" song.

True, authentic, Barney on "How I Met Your Mother" awesomeness.

My friends are amazing.  The kind of friends more people need, and the kind of friends that I need more often.  You would be lucky to have them.  (But I don't know if I'm willing to share.)  

Big things happened this week.  Epic, life-changing, really exciting kinds of things happened.  Things other than the Melting Chocolate Heart Truffle Cake at Max Brenner Philadelphia (check out the earlier post).  Things more important than the 3 a.m. cheesesteak excursion in South Philly.  I'm not quite ready to share the details (unless you call, really beg, and offer Mexican food), but I promise I will soon.  And it will be great.  

But maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't have happened without a little help from my friends.  Or maybe they would have.  Who knows...but, at a time when I had big decisions to make, my friends came through at just the right time, with just the right amount of questions and wisdom and love.  Thanks to a couple of friends in particular, we had great conversations about what true friendship really means.  Sure, I have hundreds of friends on Facebook, but how many of them have any clue about what's happening in my life.  Even worse...how many of them do I have any idea about lately?  Status updates do not create community.  Friendships, like marriages, should be intentionally created and nurtured.  They should be the select, super special handful of people who know the questions and issues and big decisions you encounter...and they should be the ones who ask tough questions back.  

How many real friends do we really have?  Not the ones you chat with online, but the ones you can call in the middle of the night?  Friends are not necessarily the person in the office next door (although that one worked out pretty well in my case!) or the first person you meet in college.  

Think about it.  Talk about it.  Work on it.

In the mean time, I would always rather be somewhere with you...

1 comment:

  1. I love my line in here :) This whole post brought a big smile to my face. Hopefully, there will be lots of opportunities to celebrate soon! Not that we have much of a difficulty finding excuses to celebrate something or other ;)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS